Sunday, January 21, 2018

DB



During our Coolley years in Iowa, I always felt there was more of a connection to our cousin DB in Texas than with the NH cousins. I was so young when DB first enters my memory - he was always older and horsing around with the boys - but I remember his TX drawl humor and how he made Dick, especially, laugh. They made a pretty goofy pair of guys, who, especially in their teens, shared a funny bone that kept me entertained. Not sure if the Phillips came north every summer during the sixties, but it seemed when they did, going to the farm meant more fun than usual. I didn't participate efficiently - the downside of being too young to join in with the older kids and their games - but corn cob fights in the barnyard were always part of the drill it seemed. I think there are films of at least one. There was an incident at Gramp's that happened while the adults were away and involved Dick and DB doing something they shouldn't. Jeanne might remember. They either got into something in Gramp's closet or something else, but I remember them sitting in that front room of the living area plotting how to handle the fallout when Dad got back. I remember the house had a shared closet in the front bedroom to Gramp's bedroom that was a fascinating place to explore. He also had the attic cluttered with junk and the basement (remember that well?). I dream of the farm and the farm house quite often.

The best part was just watching the horsing around of the older boys - Ron, Dick, DB. And the laughter.

Rest in peace, Dan. Tell Dicky hello.




No comments: