Friday, May 30, 2008

Mom's in the bonnet


I got this photo from a photo post card - the only thing it says on the back is "Mom in bonnet", with "Ray and Gladys" written in the address area. I think that Dad wrote this indicating his mom was the one in the bonnet. What's funny is that nearly all the women are in bonnets! But I believe that the woman to the left of the picture seen in profile is our grandmother. Everyone looks to be having a pretty good time, except maybe Grammy Coolley. I think she looks quite young here. I wish I could identify the others.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, that poor woman is Grammie, she used to stand like that with her arms folded/crossed over. She never did have much fun, I think. She was always a shy, reserved woman and stood off to herself alot as I recall. Even here, she is not having fun while everyone else is so having a good time. I remember well the hot, humid Iowa summers and these poor girls in their dresses & bonnets, just trying to stay cool. Can you imagine the wet clothes after they get out of the water getting steamy from the heat. It is a great photo in that it makes me happy that even back then, the knew how to have fun inspite of all the hard work.