Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Dad and Gramp at Christmas

This is how I'll always remember both Gramp and Dad. Gramp always took photos with a solemn look. I don't ever recall him smiling in photos, on purpose anyway. It must have been something learned from old photographs where it took 5 minutes to freeze a pose on print. Anyway, he's showing off his new jacket with his customary photographic glee!

Dad, on the other hand is barely able to suppress his own happiness on that day. It might have been when he got his pool cue - but only AFTER we first punked him with a wrapped broomstick, and only AFTER he got his sweet and dill pickle jar labels back on the proper jars. Now that's a joke on Ron that Dick never anticipated Daddy taking part in. I still remember Dad's face - and Dick's - when he opened the jar at dinner and took a big bite of what he thought was a sweet pickle!

Other things in this photo resonate with my memories. I took note of the background props that remained the same for so many years. I used to have dreams about the front door with its octagonal window and how it never latched properly until you literally slammed it shut (a problem when I came home after curfew in those later years). My anxiety dreams of that time were of being chased by something and can't get the door latched shut to ward off whatever is trying to get inside. Ah, but the knotty pine paneling on the wall, hanging amber lamp and wrought iron stair bannisters all still remain solidly part of my memory of 6101 SW 12th.

No comments: