Sunday, February 5, 2012

Fred's Model T

Gramp Foote's Model T. This photo was in bad shape and took a great deal of cleaning up to get to this point. I like it. You can tell he was a man of meager means but loved his buggy. Just look at the size of the steering wheel!

Gramp Foote was by all accounts a very good man. I'm told he was generous to a fault and everyone loved him. He was also an amazingly skilled and talented craftsman, having designed and built their camp at Baboosic, pictured here:




I remember Ruthie telling me that he had a friend who needed more than a cane to walk - something sturdier - and he fashioned a walker out of plumbing pipes. Back then walkers were not invented yet, so imagine that his construction, which resembled precisely what folks now use, might have inspired someone else to patent a similar idea. He could create a gizmo to fill a niche and handcraft showroom quality wood furniture.

There is no doubt in my mind that Gramp Foote's talents and popularity were passed along directly to me.

No comments: