Monday, February 6, 2012

Varieties with Ron and Dick













I remember this skit, but not clearly. As I recall, Dick was mean school administrator? Just wish we had film of these skits and the MC acts Ron and Dick created and won for. As it is, we have very few photos of those events, unfortunately. My memory is that I was always blown away by the skits Dick created.

Years after he was gone and I was at ISU, I got involved at a very low level of a skit the ADPis were doing with the Pikes, and a man who was in charge of working with the various programs of Varieties told a group of us about the most memorable skit he saw by students. He proceeded to lay out the groundwork of one of Dick's productions - the one about college class registration - and spoke almost reverently of the effect Dick used with a strobe light when the actors threw their registration cards into the air at once. I knew that scene and was so proud to think that years later it was still on the minds of the adult administrators who had worked with tons of students before and after that.

Ron and Dick's MC routine was amazing. Dicky the Turtle and B-O-B Bob, all of it made a lasting impression on my 10 or 11 year old soul! And has stuck with me. Living with these two guys in the house was like watching that Varieties routine on a daily basis. Never a dull moment...




















No comments: