Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Trip to Iowa 1993

This photo is my favorite of Justin and Daddy because it illustrates what kind of grandfather he was, and reminds me of the tender side that existed in him but he rarely showed.

Growing up, I was always afraid of Daddy. His anger was displayed often, bellowing loudly regardless of who might be present to hear it (usually a friend who'd invariably scramble to make a quick exit). I can recall so many moments when I'd still be smoking from the torched harangue long after he'd moved on to some other activity, but I never did experience the belt Ron and Dick were subjected to (and I remember quite clearly). When Dad said he was going to "tan your hide" you knew he meant it.

My earliest memories of Dad were of bedtime. I had a pair of very large bunny pajamas with feet and a hood or hat of bunny ears, and when I headed off to bed he'd insist that I submit to "wuzzies" first. I'd come to his chair (back then it was situated towards the north corner of the living room, facing the tv against the stairs) and he'd rub my face with his stubbled cheek, tickling me and send me off laughing. He'd often sing riddle songs for me to figure out, like "Mares-Eat-Oats and Does-Eat-Oats and little-lambs-eat-ivy a kid'll-eat-ivy-too would you?", which sounded like utter jibberish until you slowed it down. I think the best moment I remember is when he gave me my first troll doll and had already named him "Skeeters", which was actually the perfect name.

 With Justin, this trip to Iowa was nearly perfect. Justin was 5 and just about to enter Kindergarten. It was the year of the terrible floods in that area and this photo was taken in the camper lot that normally sat 20 feet above water level at Red Rock Lake. Notice the flood lapped onto the parking lot where Justin and Dad were seeking to fish. Dad had a truck camper with an overhang much like the one Jeanne and I had to sleep in with the old camper from years ago. Justin LOVED that camper and was really excited about taking that camping trip with PaPa and Mimi. Me, not so much :) I hate camping; always have, but knew this one was important. At night, Daddy built a campfire and we sat around toasting hot dogs and marshmallows. Daddy showed Justin his false teeth - the way he used to show them to us....by sticking the bottom row out like the monster in Alien. Fascinated, Justin had him do it over and over and over. The two really bonded on that trip. Daddy, for all his flaws, had a side of true tenderness that he showed Justin during that visit, and it made a lasting mark on me to see.

No comments: